Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Year's Eve Food

I had some other shit going on so I'm sorry for the delay of getting this post out. Here it is...

As many of you know, my favorite time of year is New Year's. My favorite place to be on New Year's is with family and friends in Japan. There's always good times, great food, and awesome Japanese TV! This year was absolutely perfect. I always take vacation time from work, and this year I started it a little earlier because there was a chance I was headed out to Bangladesh on business right after New Year's. Luckily, I didn't end up going so I could really enjoy sitting around on my ass!

As you may know from last year's post, Mrs. Slim is phenomenal in the kitchen and very good at keeping up the Japanese traditions around Chez Slim. This year, however, I think she knocked one out of the park. There are different foods you are supposed to eat, at different times, for different reasons, throughout the New Year's holiday in Japan, which spans from 31 December to 3 January, officially. Below I've got some photos from our New Year's Eve mange.




















This is some cold soba noodles; ALL Japanese people eat soba to get ready for the New Year. It's called Toshikoshi Soba. The long noodles are a symbol of long life.


















My wife chose to eat her soba hot, in some soup with spinach... I snuck a taste , it rocked.















The big plate up in the top right corner is tempura. Mrs. Slim's tempura was shrimp, shitake mushrooms, squid, green peppers, and sliced sweet potato. To the left of the tempura plate is Shumai. Below and to the right of the Shumai is Inarizushi, or sushi in a bean-bag.

Photos by Tokyo Slim, food by Mrs. Tokyo Slim

5 Comments:

At Tue Jan 22, 10:55:00 PM GMT+9, Anonymous Anonymous said...

明けましておめでとうございます

BTW...you ever check archive.org for streaming dead? just found it a couple of weeks ago and there are some decent full shows avaialable...

Happy New Year

 
At Wed Jan 23, 06:59:00 AM GMT+9, Blogger Tokyo Slim said...

I never heard of it, just checked it out now, quite a resource. I downloaded 5/15/1970 Filmore East, good show. I love the slower version of "I know you rider" from that show. Thanks for the link, I've been paying for my dead via dick's picks like a sucker!

 
At Thu Jan 24, 06:51:00 AM GMT+9, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting in the office listening to 5/15/1970...the comments tell me it should just about cover the work day at 6.5 hrs and 63 tunes
Right now I'm on a track 16, a New Riders song, but the length of the show set me to wondering if you ever tracked down your hundred hour version of "Alligator"?

 
At Sun Jan 27, 09:42:00 AM GMT+9, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Late New Years punk!

 
At Mon Jan 28, 07:35:00 AM GMT+9, Blogger Tokyo Slim said...

Yo, lady, Happy Late New Year's to you as well. How's life down there in God's waiting room, aka florida?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home