Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Delivery

Hey, in case you were wondering what the dish my wife bought looks like, from the last post, here it is with some of our dinner in it. Click to enlarge all pics, yo.
















I've had my eye on an electric fish roaster since I got back from the Alaska, and today, I made my move on it. This was her maiden voyage. My favorite fish, the Hoke, with a hiraki cut. Hiraki means split down the top, hinged on the belly.
















In case you didn't know, the official/traditional/proper way to serve fish in Japan is head to the left or belly towards the person eating. Sleep better knowing that. I also cooked some salmon cuts tonight.
















In hind-sight, I'd say say I placed the fish the wrong way in the dish; the handles should have been to the left and right in order to view the fish in the horizontal. I'm not sure what the proper way is on this cut of fish. In Japan, food is like a good joke; the delivery is key. The flavor is important, but if you present it the wrong way, you've screwed it up in the grand scheme of things.

So did it taste good? You bet your ass it did, and here is why: The fish roaster worked like a champ and my recipe is always spot on. Drizzle on the sake, then sprinkle on the salt; the rest is up to the fish. The Salmon was from Aomori and the Hoke was from Hokkaido; both in Japan and from cold waters. In Japan, you can buy Salmon from Chile, but I'd rather not eat fish from warm water, so I go for the northern Japan variety. When it comes to Hoke, you can get the Hokkaido or Russian versions. I stick with Japan, as Russia never hooked me up with shit.

Photos by Tokyo Slim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home