Wednesday, March 12, 2008

An Update to Messin' with the Man

Well, I got a response back, kind of a generic one, and I was given a new person to contact with my marketing questions. Here's the email I sent out, hopefully I get a response soon.
Dear Joy,
I was given your name as a point of contact for some questions concerning the marketing strategy of Mitchum® Antiperspirant & Deodorant. I have been using Mitchum for a few years now and have come to enjoy its effectiveness and lack of marks it leaves on my black T-shirts, which I wear every day for work. Some of the 'If you need an audience to light the grill, you're a Mitchum man' type marketing has been something funny to read over the past few years.
However, my current Mitchum product contains a quip that has left me befuddled. This is what it says, "If your socks almost match, you're a Mitchum man". In case you don't believe me, I've attached a photo.
Is a Mitchum Man too stupid or too lazy to match his socks?
I was wondering who the targeted audience would be for this phrase; As a Mitchum user, where do I fall in to the picture?

I feel I'm smart enough to match my socks. I also pay attention to their degree of "matchness", so I don't feel I'm lazy. I feel that if you are too lazy to make sure your socks match, you probably don't wear socks anyway, or can't wear socks for work related issues, such as Harri Krishna, NFL Kicker, or professional nude foot model. The other professions of "Crack Whore" and "Assistant Crack Whore" might also be included in that group, but who knows for sure.
I've always thought if your socks almost match, you are an idiot, or if they almost match, you somehow didn't try hard enough, yet, how much effort does it take to match your socks? Which would it be, stupidity or laziness?
So does this mean that Mitchum Men can't perform the task of matching? I've taught my children how to match things at the ripe old age of 1 year. They may not be geniuses, but they've done well on matching exercises.
My socks have never "not matched." If a fire were to break out in my house, leaving me with only two socks that didn't match, I'd go with sandals and no socks until I could get a pair of matching socks.

Joy, to bring it all back to the original question, what demographic should be purchasing your product, because I feel I may be a bit over-qualified to use your product?

In case you were wondering, here's a little more info on me; a current Mitchum® brand Antiperspirant & Deodorant user:
Matches socks & shoes well. Bonus skill: can tie shoes
Performs basic math skills to the 12th grade level
differentiates between basic colors
able to distinguish between common barnyard animal sounds
can write own name
recognizes mirror image as self.

Tokyo Slim

3 Comments:

At Sat Apr 05, 01:12:00 PM GMT+9, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go slim. You will definately have to keep us posted. Matay thought this was great work....Ms. Lilly

 
At Mon Apr 07, 02:22:00 PM GMT+9, Anonymous Anonymous said...

another classic. nox

 
At Wed Jul 16, 02:01:00 PM GMT+9, Blogger Amanda said...

OMG...I just about fell out of my chair laughing! You are ALMOST as sarcastic as my husband...so much so, that I just called him in here to read your blog ;)

Way to go for stickin' it to "the man."

Amanda Dudley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home