Tuesday, January 29, 2008

New Year's Eve

Ok, so my lazy ass is just now getting around to what happened next for New Year's at Chez Slim. So after the New Year's Eve meal, we moved on to the actual countdown. At midnight, we poured the drinks. Some cheap-o Cold Duck and Kids' Champagne, some form of Power Ranger, served in a Totoro Glass. Totoro is in my top five favorite movies, I encourage you to check it out.

















Here comes the sausage-fest! Actually, I'm the only dude in a house of dudettes, but I was talking about the snacks we had with our countdown drinks! Wieners, salami, crackers, and 3 different cheeses. If I had to gut-punch someone's grandma to eat it again, I'd consider it. Fortunately though, I'd just have to go to the store.

















Here's one of our Kadomatsu. They are supposed to be set on both sides of a doorway or entrance to welcome the ancestral spirits of the harvest. It was kind of expensive, so we only bought one. That's called half-assin' a tradition... We have a smaller one also, but two of the same size would look better. The three bamboo represent Heaven, Humanity and Earth. The Heaven one is the tallest, the Earth one being the shortest, but sometimes, as ours, the Humanity and Earth ones are the same size. The pine calls the gods. Everything is wrapped in straw mat and tied off with straw rope.























Photos by Tokyo Slim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home